Monday 10 January 2011

The Phantom Tollbooth by Elisa-1ºB


Dear readers,

Today I want to talk to you about how I came to love reading. Before I begin, I have to confess something: when I was little, I detested reading. Every time my mother sat me down on her lap to read me a story, I turned my head away stubbornly, on the verge of crying. But my mother, who really enjoys reading, didn’t give up. Now, her hard work paid off, and, I too, am now infatuated by books.


I also want to talk about one of my favourite books, (and hopefully inspire you to read it!): “The Phantom Tollbooth” by Norton Juster.

It tells the tale of a young boy called Milo, who is bored by everything and everyone. He comes home one day after school to find an enormous package with a note that read: FOR MILO, WHO HAS PLENTY OF TIME. It contained a toy tollbooth and a map of the Lands of Beyond. Puzzled, and with extra time on his hands, he jumps into his little toy car and rides past the tollbooth. There he sees a small sign which says he must have his destination in mind. Opening the map, he picks a city: Dictionopolis. Suddenly, his surroundings change. He is riding along an unknown road, thinking; “What a strange thing to happen. What started out as a game, but it turns out to be real”.

This is how Milo enters the Kingdom of Wisdom. From them on, wonderfully strange things happen, which help him open his eyes. He is sent on a mission, by the King Azaz, to save the princesses Rhyme and Reason and restore peace among all. I shall not tell you the end, for this would spoil it, but I shall tell you this. After this wonderful and insightful trip, when Milo returns to his own world, he does not find it dull and monotonous; he notices the true beauty of the world’s colours, sounds and peculiarities.

It is a wonderful book, thoroughly entertaining, and extremely insightful. I really recommend that you, my dear reader, search high and low for this book, and read it, and enjoy it, I hope, as much as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment