Monday 10 January 2011

One reading experience...

Hello! My name is Alicia, I’m 12 years old and I live in Santander. I’m going to tell you what happened to me years ago when I was so curious about words I found in the street. I wanted to read everything!

One day, when I was 4, I was walking with my mother and I saw the ONCE ( Organización Nacional de Ciegos Españoles) post, I recognized this word immediately and suddenly read it:

- /uans! /- I shouted.

- What?- my mother asked.

- Over there it is written /uans/- I repeated.

My mother couldn´t understand until she realized I was reading in English.

- Can you read it in Spanish? In Spanish it sounds different.

Now it was me the one who couldn´t understand what my mother was asking me to do, and I kept on saying:

-/uans/- I went on.

I was unable to read that familiar word in a different way.

She insisted a few times but there was no change.

Why couldn’t I read it in my own language?

Why was I so close to this word and so determined about its sound?

Because my mother used to read me English stories at bedtime and all of them started with the well-known: ‘Once upon a time….’ I couldn’t figure out a different way to read it.

In the end, my mother had to give up and tell me what the Spanish pronunciation of this writing is.

She explained me that it is an organisation for blind people.

That’s how I realized that memory has an important role in reading as much as deducing things.

Since then we call this place “el puesto de la uans”!!

Alicia Sukarlan 1ºB

No comments:

Post a Comment