Saturday 10 April 2010

Reading by Laura Boada

Most of teenagers don’t usually read because they think it is a waste of time and they could spend it doing something better. However, I am part of the minority of young people who love reading. My mother reads a lot and the same does my brother, so I have been surrounded by books since I was a little girl.

It depends on the number of pages, but I usually read one book each week, or even in a few days if I am enjoying it. But sometimes it is difficult to get them because libraries don’t usually have novelties or strange books, so I have recently bought an ebook in order not to spend so much money in bookshops.

However, despite the obvious advantages of reading, it has also disadvantages: It may become a vice you will have to give up.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually don't think teenagers who read are something like a minority, much more the style of intelligent, smart people comes in fashion again, to be briefed, to know what is currently on breaking news and at least since so many teenagers use online communication to get in touch it really becomes hip to know what's going on. And what's the easiest way to get informed? Reading.
    I really don't get your point. In germany it really gets hip to read, anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do get your point to a certain degree, Laura. I'll let you into a little secret (Señor Martínez, please cover your eyes!)...I'm a librarian who doesn't read. Well, let me rephrase that...I'm a librarian who doesn't read for pleasure, in the traditional sense. Maybe I'm more in the DeutscheWerkmeister camp here, but I almost exclusively read to know what's going on...which, in itself, is a pleasure I suppose. I can read for the sake of it if the mood takes me, but practically all my reading time is informative. I haven't read a book of fiction since I was a teenager (that's many years ago by the way!). But I think it would be unfair to criticise me for choosing not to read a particular branch of literature. I like your idea of reading quirky or strange books. Sheer general interest! I like reading history books based on 17th century sea voyages, followed by books about racehorses!! That's just me...I really wouldn't expect others to be particularly interested. But that's ok! I have no particular interest in reading Harry Potter novels. Does that make me a bad reader?? Don't think so...But I can read about Harry Potter novels if necessary, that's kind of my job! Teenagers who say they don't read are probably lying just a bit. I bet they do (it's practically unavoidable anyway), just not necessarily for fun. Reading takes many shapes; different strokes for different folks and all that!

    As for giving up reading...DON'T DO IT!

    ReplyDelete