Friday 23 April 2010

My favourite book (and some objective reflections!)

Nathaniel's Nutmeg: How One Man's Courage Changed the Course of History – Giles Milton

(...also, how one man's favourite book is another man's waste of time!)


I’ve already misled you…Let me state my position! I had originally intended to write a short, highly complimentary piece about my favourite book (title above). But immediately there’s a twist in the tale! I made the mistake of visiting Amazon.com. Well, it’s hardly a mistake really, I highly recommend visiting Amazon.com...but on this occasion it was quite the mistake! I had visited said website merely to top-up my appreciation of the book and its author when, drop-jawed, I discovered five, yes FIVE one and two star reviews of this little masterpiece (by my reckoning!). That paint’s just not going to dry with me…I had to take a closer look.

Reading is big business...BIG business! But what makes a bestseller? What is the definitive factor that encourages people to part with their cash on Amazon.com for that one book that EVERYBODY wants? Is it the author, subject, quality of writing, shrewd marketing...or is it all of these things combined to various degrees? Can the front cover of a book seal the deal, or does the back cover blurb hold the key? Or it might just be the inevitable TV series following the publication that whets the appetite!

It does strike me as odd that any book could be considered universally outstanding. But while reading reviews of my favourite book, I actually felt annoyed that some people saw fit to criticise it to the point of insult. The reviews range from high praise (which is where I stand) to ridicule. It got me thinking - can I as a school librarian really speak with authority when suggesting books that pupils should read? Can I confidently buy books for the school library, particularly when limited by a tight budget, safe in the knowledge that I have the reading bases covered? It’s a skilful business judging group reading tastes, one which I’ve never truly felt comfortable with. Sad for a librarian to say of course. But, on reflection, I guess that’s the beauty of literature. Every book has a face, a scent, a character of its own. Some we like, some we don’t. But each has its place. Some people consider books as friends to be visited and revisited, enjoying the quiet comfort of their company. Others have a more formal association with their reading…studying, researching, analysing. In any case, for any taste, there’s a book! In the end, I can only conclude that while you will not always love the books you read, you will always read the books you love!

Nathaniel's Nutmeg is an exceptional read! Clearly though, I can’t speak for everyone…

No comments:

Post a Comment