Friday 26 March 2010

Reading when travelling (or viceversa)

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page”
St. Agustine
What´s the meaning of a long delay in an airport? Is it sleeping all I can do, being my suitcase the best pillow possible?.
Any inconvenience when travelling may be turned into an opportunity to travel even farther.
Never have I travelled alone), loneliness has been chased away when means of transport are involved. Long journeys and neverending waits give me the peace and chance to enjoy some relaxed and focused reading.
So I might sit down in a busy railway station, and have an inspirational chat with William of Baskerville or Adam Dalgliesh (I haven´t bumped into Lisbeth Salander yet, she´s got lots of work to do with other travellers).Travelling and reading always mean meeting new people, imaginary or real.
So, what will the last stop be? The last page, (of the last chapter, of the last book ...) of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment