Monday 20 September 2010

I'm not a poet, but...


It's not too often that I'm inspired to write poetry...the following has nothing to do with books! It has more to do with how much I enjoyed my stay in Neresheim and Nordlingen recently. Many, many thanks to Alexandra and her two wonderful children, Herr Christian, Regine, Sonia, the host families and all who looked after us during our stay.

Maybe one day I'll sit beneath the lonesome tree by the Neresheim cycle path and read a line or two of Goethe (now that I know who he is...)

On a German Cycle Path
Wandering…weaving among broken white lines,
The casual peloton carelessly meanders
Along tree-lined paths and roads rarely used.
Though now and again comes the call of the rearguard…
"Auto!..."
A secluded playground bids us to stop
In a glade that echoes to laughter.
In sight of the swinehouse stands a large, leafy tree.
Solitary;
The forested horizon a distant companion.
Not before time comes The Cyclist's Rest;
A welcome pause in sublime isolation.
Onwards!
The homeward journey is a satisfied crawl.
We arrive full circle.
There's pleasure in good company
On a German cycle path.

3 comments:

  1. John,
    I am impressed to the point of being overwhelmed at the range of your talents... and now a poet..! You have succeeded in capturing the essence of that visit to Neresheim... much better than some of us whose memories are tainted by the experience of bicycle-chaffing. I intend to introduce your poem to my English class, hopefully with your permission.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear John!

    Althought I didn't get all words of your poem I really enjoyed reading it (and laughed at line 5 ;-) - you've got talent, no doubt!
    But have beeing part of this bicycle trip was a blast - a few great hours with great, amiable people!!!

    Hope to see you some time! Greetings from Germany,

    Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,
    I am deeply impressed. I did not know that Neresheim could have had such an influence on you! What a wonderful poem.
    Greetings,
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete